Thursday, January 13, 2011

"I know this is wrong, and here I am..."

       JANUARY 11, 2011---It was like a frozen tundra with winds and - 3 with the wind chill. Brr. Just Daniel and I. Special Forces. I felt sorry for him as snow was filling up his worn shoes; he needs boots. But we were a team. As soon as we pulled up to the crime scene the body parts man was leaving.   
       No troublemakers, of course. I think the pregnant girls somewhat felt sorry for us, so, they did hesitate to go in and took literature from our frozen fingers.  Our phalanges were actually burning from the cold and winds. Only one Missouri convicted woman told us to, “F*%# off!” They did about 20 abortions. Throughout the afternoon, we cleared the drifting snow from the van door and kept moving.
       BAM! One precious lady gazed over at us as she drove by then pulled onto the parking lot, got out and listened to me. The guard came out and yelled at her, “Hey, you have an appointment inside!” Can you believe it? I then told her that we could help her for free and it would only take a few minutes. She started to walk over the snow drift when I told her she needed to move her car as  the guard was yelling again. She asked, “Why is he so angry?” Once inside I told her, “Because we cost them a lot of money.” : ) Woo-hoo!
      Once inside I covered her with an extra blanket till the van was  nice and toasty.  I scanned, and hidden in the secret place was her baby. Daniel even took her across the street to relieve her bladder, as she was too full, so we could get a better view. She then explained how she didn't know if she was going to keep it, etc. I listened to her plight and she has one child: an 8 year old girl. She is a nurse and knows, “This is wrong,” (most medical professionals do too.) But she said, “And here I am.”
       Daniel waited outside; he was a popsicle by then. After 45 minutes, I assured her we were there for her, that she could do this, and that this was a blessing from God. I knew she knew the Lord. I told her about Hannah and Isaac. “Whatever it takes, we will help.” She then sat up, peered at our brochure, and pointed to a saying on it while reading aloud, “Children are a blessing, a gift from God.” She had tears in her eyes and said, “I can't go in there. I know what I'm doing. Thank you for all your help.” She gave me the biggest hug. We gingerly walked her to her car on snow-covered icy walks and streets and she promised to keep in touch.
       We were rejoicing when Daniel told me that another couple came back out and told him they were keeping their 7 week old baby. Monica and her friend took our literature. They were one of the early clients we spoke with as they waited in line.
       A three-some from Tennessee came back out, told us they were still thinking, and sat in their car. We still waited another 20 minutes for them to come inside our van or drive off, but as it was getting dark we had to leave. They did take our literature. I prayed they would drive back home and not go inside. In all, possibly three saves, but it was frigidly cold. The winds were trying to penetrate our several layers of clothing to get at our core.
       Many of the cars drove by turning their heads from our watch; some looked in awe of us standing there holding our signs. A young man we spoke with on Saturday needing clothes for his 3 year old son came back by. We didn't have clothing that big; the little boy was not dressed warm enough. The man's wife left him and took their belongings. I have helped her with her past pregnancy. She had a drug dependency in the past, but got clean.
       We felt sorry for the situation. They prayed and then Daniel reached in his pocket and gave him part of our grocery money to go get some underwear and clothes for the boy. The man promised he would pay us back at the end of the month. Daniel told him to not worry about that and, “Take care of the little boy.” It was too cold to be out here. This went on while I was doing the ultrasound. Daniel had tears in his eyes; he felt sorry for the man and the little boy..
       "We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give." John 13:35 “By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you love one another.” Staying encouraged, “We overcome evil by doing good.”
        ~Angela
   Editor's note: The Tennessee car did leave and never returned to kill their baby. Praise God!