Thursday, January 13, 2011

"The devil is not gonna steal my joy..."

           JANUARY 13, 2011--- Uggghh...it's so cold outside. It takes hours, sometimes half a day, to warm my tired bones from standing in the gap for the little boys and girls scheduled to die. As we thaw out from our watch, we don our multi-tasking cape and face the challenges of tending to not only our ministry but our home front. The cleaning, the cooking, the laundry, the errands, groceries, paying the bills, manning the phones, picking the kids up from school, and dropping them off at their practices and/or games. Aaahhh. The luxury of just a little time for myself. It starts out with a tiny, “Wahhh,” then gradually progresses to a 3 alarm, “WWAAHH.” Up the stairs I run. The baby is up from his nap; way too short. I thought, “All they do is eat and poop and sleep the first few months.” : (  
            A quick diaper change and well, we're back at where we started as I slide back into my office chair, look out my window, and shutter at the dead of winter and the frozen snow. “It sure feels better in here,” I whisper to baby Isaac. I look in his face and he tells me with his big blue eyes, “Momma, you’re my world.” I hold him closer to my chest, kiss his tiny forehead, and think of where he could have been a few months ago. My eyes are filling with tears. “I’m so glad you’re here with us. I love you Isaac.” All the troubles of the day and week go away when I look into his face. I hold him up and say, “The devil's not gonna steal my joy,” and little Isaac laughs. I'm telling you he laughs! I smile and say, “Do that again.” He just looks at me and smiles. I repeat, “The devil’s not gonna steal my joy.” Isaac laughs out loud again. “He's laughing, he's laughing!” I shout. “That's your name Isaac; full of laughter.”
            By this time some of the kids have come into the office to see what's going on. “He's laughing,” I tell them. “Boy, we sure named you right.” I think God knew what He was doing by sending us our valiant baby Isaac. He will be a blessing to our family and all whom he encounters for the Kingdom. Thank you Jesus for making us worthy.
            Father, what a joy to serve You and the joy I receive through my children by being a mother. Open my eyes to the sacredness of this vital calling. I pray for continued strength and loving guidance that I may walk worthy of the name “mother”. The suggestions, support, knowledge, and hugs of tenderness we offer are footprints for our children to follow into their own abundant lives.
           1 Samuel 2:1-2 "My heart rejoices in the Lord; in the Lord my horn is lifted high. My mouth boasts over my enemies, for I delight in Your deliverance. There is no one holy like the Lord; there is no one besides You; there is no Rock like our God."
           ~Angela